Jan 16, 2012

Hi there!

I don't really know how to introduce myself on a blog. Let's try the easiest way.
Hi, my name is Chiara.

I have been thinking about starting a blog for the past few months, but could never find the right moment (lie, I should have said the courage) to do it. I took the first steps to create a blog a couple of times, but I would always stop before the actual creation, making up excuses like "I am not sure I like this name" or "what if I don't know what to write" ecc. This afternoon, as I was going through the first steps yet another time, something happened: I truly don't know what I did, what botton I pushed, but all of a sudden my blog was there, with the name I liked best! So welcome pepper and chamomile!
What is more, as this brand new blog of mine is supposed to be a food blog (or at least this is what I would like it to be), today I happened to have a recipe at hand which is just as new, one I decided to invent and try, using some of the best in season ingredients I could find at the farmers market: a leek, cauliflower and celeriac soup. There is nothing easier than a soup to start creating new recipes and there is nothing better to eat during chilly winter days and nights! 

So here I start my adventure in the blogosphere, with a recipe and a couple of pictures.
The view from a walk I took yesterday.

Here is the recipe:





LEEKS, CAULIFLOWER AND CELERIAC SOUP (serves 4)

Ingredients:
  • 1 clove of garlic
  • cumin (a pinch)*
  • 3 or 4 sage leaves
  • 2 leeks
  • half a celeriac
  • half of a medium cauliflower head
  • 1 carrot
  • 4 cups chicken broth
  • olive oil
  • salt and pepper
Wash and chop the leeks, celeriac, carrot and cauliflower (keep the leeks separate from the rest of the vegetables as you will be adding them to the pan first).
In a pressure cooker (or the pan you are using) heat some olive oil over medium heat and add the minced garlic, cumin and sage. Keep stirring until the garlic starts browning, then add the leeks and cook for about one minute. 
Add the rest of the vegetables and cook for another 3 to 5 minutes stirring occasionally.
Add some pepper and a pinch of salt.
Add the broth. Close the lid of the pressure cooker and let cook for about 15 minutes. If you are using a regular pan let simmer, covered, for thirty to forty minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
Puree everything into the consistency you like.
Check if it is tasty enough, you might want to add some salt.
Buon appetito! 

*I am not totally sure cumin is allowed in the gaps diet, especially on the first stages. If it isn't just leave it out, the soup will be just fine without it. 


I had mine with a spoonful of grated parmesan cheese and a few drops of olive oil: super good! 



2 comments:

  1. Hooray for starting a blog! And thanks for popping over yonder to our little almanac and saying hello!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kendra, for posting the first comment on my blog. It felt so nice!

      Delete