Jan 30, 2012

The time of oranges 2

As I wrote a few posts ago, I like oranges very much. In fact, I'd say they are my favorite winter fruit.



A freshly squeezed orange juice with some almonds on the side is a perfect snack!

But I wasn't going to tell you about snacks this time. There is another recipe I would like to share with you today: an orange cake.






A friend of my Mom has been making it for years and she passed the recipe on to us. It comes from an UNICEF book ("Il piccolo cuoco") and supposedly it is a Portuguese recipe. First time I made it I followed the instructions and it turned out very good but definitely too sweet for my taste. So I adjusted it reducing the sugar and substituting the granulated sugar in the cake with cane sugar. I liked it much better the second time: it didn't give me toothache, but was still sweet enough to be very enjoyable. Give it a try, you'll like it!

ORANGE CAKE

Ingredients:

  • 4 medium eggs
  • 1/2 cup butter (125g), softened
  • 1 cup powdered cane sugar (150g). (I used a coffee grinder to make my own powdered sugar, if you can't find or make powdered sugar I believe fine cane sugar will work as well)
  • 3/4 cup all-purpose flour (125g)
  • 1 tsp baking powder (1/2 cucchiaio)
  • 3 large oranges (juice and zest)
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar (100g)
  • 3/4 cup water (200ml)
Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
Separate the egg yolks from the whites.
Beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt until firm and set them aside.
With a hand mixer beat the egg yolks with the softened butter until well mixed. Add the powdered cane sugar and beat again.
In another bowl mix the flour with the baking powder and add to the eggs, butter and sugar mixture with a spatula. Stir well.
Add the egg whites in two or three times, mixing gently. Add the zest of two of the three oranges.
Grease a 10 inch round baking mold and pour the batter in it.
Bake in the oven for 20/25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. (If you are using a smaller mold it might take longer to bake, check with a toothpick!)
Once the cake is ready immediately unmold it in a plate with high edges and let cool.

In the meantime heat the water and the granulated sugar in a pan, stirring until the sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and stir in the juice of the three oranges. Pour half of this mixture over the cake and the other half around it in the plate. Let the cake absorb all the liquid (don't worry if it seems too much, the cake will absorb it all, believe me.).

Buon appetito!

No comments:

Post a Comment