Jan 19, 2012

The time of oranges


Let's not pretend cinnamon and orange isn't one of the very best food pair ever. 

Or cinnamon and apples. Or cinnamon and chocolate, sugar, anything. I love cinnamon, I think you can tell. But this was about oranges. I love oranges too, and they are in season right now! It is amazing how cold winter can produce such a beautiful fruit: the orange spheres with the irregular peel and fresh smell. They kind of smell like summer to me.
Mainly I use oranges for orange juice. Because freshly squeezed orange juice tastes great, it's full of vitamines and it's made in no time. But after a while I start thinking about other ways to use oranges.
One of the best recipes I can think of is an orange salad. We have been making it for years now and I love the taste of pepper and olives combined with the juicy orange slices. It is perfect as an appetizer or as a side dish.

So, the dish would definitely look and taste better with some fresh herbs, I tried with basil once and I really liked it, but I think fresh thyme or oregano would be really nice too! I only had dried oregano at hand and I had to make it work; it was still excellent.


ORANGE SALAD

Ingredients:
  • one small orange per person (it looks nicer if you mix in some blood oranges)
  • black olives (I use an italian variety called Taggiasca)
  • salt and pepper
  • olive oil
  • fresh herbs of your choice (basil, oregano or thyme)*

Peel the oranges and cut them in slices. 
Arrange them on a dish and dress them with salt, pepper, olive oil and herbs. 
Add the olives (as many as you like).

Buon appetito! 

*dried herbs work as well

2 comments:

  1. I try your recipe but without olive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you tried it! I assume it's good without olives too, but they do add something.

    ReplyDelete