Jan 25, 2012

A winter classic: oven roasted vegetables

Ovens are such a great invention! I love cooking in the oven, it's perfect for vegetables, fish, meat, fruit, pasta and so many other things. I use it all year round (I can keep the oven on all day long on an 86 F summer day, with no air conditioning, just because some food is better cooked in it). In winter there is the obvious advantage that the oven makes your kitchen warmer and cozier. So when I found fresh, beautiful beetroots and carrots at the farmers market, the first thing I could think of was a plate of oven roasted vegetables. 



Once at home, I peeled, washed and chopped beetroots and carrots and added in some potatoes from my Grandparent's garden. I was thrilled by the vibrant colors of the vegetables on the baking sheet!

Less than one hour in the oven and there they were, ready to be eaten as a side to a nice pork roast. But they were so good I'd have eaten them as a main dish, perhaps with a green salad and some homemade mayo.

Next time I'll add turnips to the mix and make some mayonnaise. Perfect lunch, I can't wait to make this roasted vegetables again!

OVEN ROASTED VEGETABLES (serves 4 as a side and 2 or 3 as a main course)

Ingredients:
  • 6 carrots
  • 2 small beetroots
  • 3 medium potatoes
  • dried thyme
  • Maldon salt 
  • black pepper
  • olive oil 
Peel, wash and chop the vegetables into the shape you like. Arrange on a baking sheet and toss them in plenty of olive oil. Sprinkle with salt flakes, ground pepper and dried thyme. Roast until they start browning (about 45 minutes) at 420 F, tossing them after 20/30 minutes. 

Buon appetito! 

No comments:

Post a Comment