Feb 1, 2012

The color orange: a soup

We finally got snow!! The sky is grey and low, sounds seem to come from far away and everything is white! Forecasts say there is going to be more snow (I can't wait!) and then temperatures will drop to freezing figures.



So this winter weather made me spend most of the week and at home studying for exams and cooking. I had a butternut squash that needed to be used up, fresh carrots from the farmers market and some red lentils which would not have been enough to make anything, so I made a soup. And seeing all these orange vegetables together I thought some curry would add just the right spiciness to the whole. And it sure did! It turned out incredibly tasty, although still a bit on the sweet side, and I loved the color! In fact, I think I might start cooking choosing ingredients just from their color (not really but maybe a little bit more than I have done until now).



Oh, how I wish I had made more and could eat a bowl right now!



CURRIED CARROT AND SQUASH SOUP (serves 3)


Ingredients:

  • 3 cups chopped butternut squash (I used an entire small squash)
  • 4 medium carrots
  • 1/4 cup red lentils
  • 1/2 a red onion
  • 1/2 tsp curry
  • 2 + 1/2 cup broth
  • olive oil
  • salt

Prepare the vegetables: rins the lentils, wash, peel and chop the carrots and the squash and finely chop the onion. Heat some olive oil in a pot and add the onion. Cook for 2 minutes, then add the curry and cook for another minute.
Add the carrots and lentils and cook for about 3 minutes, stirring. Add the squash and keep stirring for another 2 minutes.
Add the broth and salt, cover and let simmer for 20 minutes (10 if you are using a pressure cooker).
Puree and enjoy!

I ate mine with a spoonful of homemade yogurt, if you want more taste add some creme fraiche.
Buon appetito! 

No comments:

Post a Comment