Feb 29, 2012

Garlicky Beluga lentils


A while ago I bought a packet of Beluga lentils. I wanted to try them, I had a vague idea for lentil patties, but wasn't really inspired to do anything with them. Until a few nights ago, when I was planning my meals for the next day. I wasn't sure whether I should soak them or not, but, as I wasn't going to cook them in plenty of water, I decided to soak them overnight. The final result was perfect, so I guess I will soak them again next time. Plus, supposedly, soaking nuts, grains, and legumes deactivates the enzymes that prevent them from sprouting, thus bringing out their nutrients.




GARLICKY BELUGA LENTILS


Ingredients (for 1 person):
  • 1/4 cup Beluga lentils, soaked overnight and rinsed
  • 3 cloves of garlic
  • 1 small carrot
  • 1/2 a small onion
  • olive oil
  • pinch of salt
  • meat stock
  • parsley

Finely chop the garlic, carrot and onion. In a skillet heat olive oil and add the chopped vegetables. Let them cook for a couple of minutes, stirring occasionally, then add the lentils and cook for another two minutes. Add salt. Pour enough stock to cover the lentils and cover with a lid. Let cook on very low heat for 15 to 20 minutes. Take the lid off and turn to high heat until the remaining liquid evaporates.
Garnish with chopped fresh parsley and serve.

Buon appetito!


1 comment:

  1. This was just the thing I was looking for...healthy and satisfying...
    Warm as a home welcome and delicate as a silky touch...
    You're doing just great...my dear friend...

    Erik

    ReplyDelete