Feb 20, 2012

Juicing

I have been using juicers for years. The first one I had used to belong to my aunt, who as a young woman was underweight and had to drink juices from all sorts of vegetables and fruits so she would get the nutrients and her stomach would still be empty enough to eat other things. I was just a kid when she bought her juicer, but I remember her face when she drank glasses of weird colored liquids: she didn't look happy at all.
I think she wasn't experimenting, she wasn't mixing vegetables and fruits to make the color and the taste of the juices better. So, when years later we asked her if we could borrow her juicer, I decided to experiment a bit. At first I didn't dare too much. I started with an apple, carrot and orange combination and gradually added fennels, pineapple, lemon and celery. And then I decided to dare even more: this past weekend I, for the very first time, juiced broccoli and beetroot (not together of course!). It was a big success!
Those of you who are used to juicing everything are probably smiling at this "success" of mine, but I am really excited I have discovered a whole new food dimension and am going to spend spring and summer experimenting and creating juice combos!

Here are a couple of pictures and the "recipes" (both make one glass).

Beetroot juice
BEETROOT JUICE

Ingredients:

  • 1 small beetroot or half a big one
  • 1 apple
  • 1/2 lemon
  • about 1 inch fresh ginger
Juice everything and drink immediately.


Broccoli juice
BROCCOLI JUICE

Ingredients:

  • 2 apples
  • 1/2 lemon
  • 2 kiwis
  • 5 or 6 broccoli florets
  • about 1 inch fresh ginger
Juice everything and drink immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment