Feb 13, 2012

A pie crust

I feel pretty confident stating that everybody likes presents. I love presents. Both giving and receiving. I love little, unexpected gifts that maybe don't feel like gifts at all for the giver. Flowers from a friend's garden, fruit from another one's orchard, home made jam or an elegant shaped glass jar...
As you probably imagine, I especially love all those presents that are food related. But I sometimes find them so lovely I don't know how to use them. Like this lemon curd my friends J. and E. brought from England last summer.



It's been in my cupboard since July, too cute to be used. Sometimes I'd take the jar in my hands, read the labels in adoration (they felt elegant and kind of exotic) and then put it back. I guess I was waiting for inspiration. It came from my aunt. I was going to make a lemon cake, cut it in half and fill it with this curd, but something didn't feel right. My aunt suggested I made a pie crust and and spread the curd on top. It sounded great: just perfect. And a great chance to try out a few changes I had been meaning to make to my usual pie crust.



I made it small, as I usually do when experimenting. The crust turned out perfect! The final pie a bit less, I don't really know why, if it was the curd that was too sweet for my taste or the whole combination that wasn't ideal. Very enjoyable anyway. But since I don't want to share recipes that I don't find very good myself, I will give you just the pie crust recipe, wich is great with jam and fresh fruit on top or with pastry cream and fresh fruit (again!). I am guessing it wouldn't be bad with some chocolate filling either.
The changes I made to the original recipe are meant to make it healthier: I substitute regular flour with whole wheat flour and granulated sugar with cane sugar. It was harder to keep it together, but the final result was worth the effort!



PIE CRUST


Ingregients:

  • 1 + 1/3 cup (150g) whole wheat flour
  • 1/4 cup (50g) cane sugar
  • 1/3 cup (75g) butter, softened
  • 1 egg yolk
  • pinch of salt

Add sugar, softened diced butter, egg yolk and salt to the flour and work them with your hands until the dough comes together. Try not to overwork. Shape it into a ball, wrap in plastic and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 360°F (180°C).
Roll the dough into a circle onto a sheet of parchment paper and put it in a round 9 inch baking dish (If you are using a larger dish double the amount of ingredients).
With a fork make little holes on the crust and then bake for about 20 minutes.
Let cool in the baking dish before removing the crust and filling it with whatever you want.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment