Mar 12, 2012

A lemon cake

I really like home made cakes. I am so accustomed to the taste and smell of freshly baked goods right out of my kitchen oven, that I can hardly eat store bought snacks and sweets.
Lately I have been baking trying to use less refined ingredients and I have come to love a more wholesome taste in my food. This, along with the well known fact that refined products are not very healthy, makes me more and more picky when looking for recipes. I find myself thinking over and over too much sugar, white flour, too much butter... So I have a choice: I either start adapting recipes to my liking or stop baking lots of wonderful cakes just because they do not match my health standard. Mind you, I don't want to become overly concerned with health, even with refined flours and granulated sugar, a homemade treat will almost always be better for your body than a store bought one. But I still think that I can be more conscious and careful when baking.



So this past weekend, as I was craving a lemon cake to eat with my morning coffee, I decided to adapt a recipe from this blog. The original recipe itself already called for olive oil and no baking powder. My changes involved Dulcita cane sugar instead of granulated sugar and 1/2 cup whole wheat flour + 1/2 cup brown rice fluor instead of 1 cup cake flour. I also used more lemon juice than it said and I am going to use even more next time. A lemon cake has to be lemon-y!
The result was excellent and I suspect I will be adapting more and more cake recipes in the future.



LEMON CAKE


Ingredients:

  • 3/4 cup olive oil (I used extra virgin)
  • 1 large lemon (zest + 2 or 3 tbsp juice)
  • 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 cup brown rice fluor
  • 3/4 cup Dulcita cane sugar
  • 5 large eggs (separated, you'll only need 4 whites, so you can reserve one for another use)
  • 1/4 tsp salt

Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Line a 9-inch springform pan with parchment paper and set aside.
With a hand mixer, beat the yolks with 1/2 cup sugar until pale in color. Reduce speed and add olive oil and lemon juice. With a spatula incorporate lemon zest and flours.
Beat egg whites (from 4 eggs) with salt until foamy, then start adding 1/4 cup sugar a bit at a time, always beating. Beat until stiff.
In two or three times, gently fold the whites into the batter.
Pour the batter into the pan and rap a couple of times against work surface to release air bubbles.
Bake for about 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
Let the cake cool, the transfer to a serving plate and dust with powdered sugar.
Buon appetito! 

2 comments:

  1. Bellissima! Provo a farla la settimana prossima :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I'm G's friend!! He introduced me this blog!! And I was so impressed when I read your diary. you have totally same thinking with me!! I'm gonna visit Italy in the end of september! I hope I can see you and make some good food for you:). I can't wait to go to there. And your food looks really nice and of course pictures are awesome!! Thank you for this lovely blog. P.S. I wanna try your delicious dessertXD

    ReplyDelete