May 8, 2012

Chickpeas alla pizzaiola

I hadn't been cooking much in the past month, but, as I had a couple of days without classes last week, I am glad to say inspiration came back to me and I found myself spending some time in the kitchen. My goal, though, has been to keep things as simple and quick as possible: with exams approaching I cannot allow myself to leave my books for too long.
There would be many recipes and good food to share with you, for example I keep making crepes, with all sorts of vegetable fillings (I also always eat a couple just plain or with jam, so good). And I should tell you about asparagus! My grandparents keep sending us bunches of thin and tender asparagus. One night I steamed them, chopped them up and mixed them with arugula and cilantro for a green salad with a lemon olive oil dressing. I'd never imagine it could taste that good!

But what I was actually going to share with you today is about chickpeas. As a child I didn't like chickpeas, I assume it's because I was not used to eating them, but for years I couldn't figure out how to like those round, beige and kind of tasteless legumes. Then I tried hummus, and I loved it. So I ventured out and bought some canned chickpeas. First time I cooked them with pieces of bacon: they certainly made for a good dressing for a pasta, but the combination provided for too many proteins. That, combined with the fact that I needed a quick lunch to take to school, inspired me to make the quickest and best tasting lunch I had cooked myself in a while. I will call it chickpeas alla pizzaiola, because they kind of taste like pizza.



CHICKPEAS ALLA PIZZAIOLA


Ingredients:

  • cooked chickpeas (I used canned)
  • a handful of cherry tomatoes, washed and halved 
  • 1/4 of a small onion, finely sliced
  • dried oregano
  • olive oil
  • (salt) I didn't use it because canned chickpeas are already salted, so check the label! 

Heat olive oil in a skillet and add sliced onion. Add chickpeas and cook for a couple of minutes, then add tomatoes and oregano. Let cook on medium-high heat, covered or about 5 minutes. Taste and add salt as needed.

Buon appetito! 

No comments:

Post a Comment