May 31, 2012

Veggie lettuce "burritos"



Saturday night I asked my Mom what she had planned for dinner and she answered that her and my Dad were going out, so I would be alone; she thought I knew. Radishes and eggs, I thought at first, would be my dinner. But then I started thinking and decided to boil some black rice. I made a fresh salad with some veggies and crumbled feta cheese, stuffed it into fresh and crunchy lettuce leaves and dressed it with a lemon, oil and mustard vinaigrette.

My hopes were not very high, but when I bit into the first wrap it felt like a revelation! They somehow brought back the taste of the Chipotle burrito I had in New York City, they have very little, if nothing at all, in common, though. These are super healthy, fresh, crunchy, vegetarian, perfect for summer. The radishes and mustard add a dash of spiciness to the whole, feta cheese adds taste and the rice keeps everything together.

If summer has come for you too, there is no good reason not to try this recipe!

VEGGIE LETTUCE "BURRITOS"


Ingredients:

  • cooked red rice 
  • feta cheese
  • grated carrots (I used one)
  • thinly sliced radishes (I used about 6)
  • 1 small tomato cut into cubes
  • chopped chives
  • lettuce leaves (washed and dried)
  • 1 tsp mustard 
  • 1 + 1/2 tsp lemon juice
  • 1/2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
  • pinch of salt

I am not giving any measurements here, it really depends on how many people you are feeding, if you are using it as an appetizer or as a main, if you like more veggies or more rice...

Cook the rice and let it cool. Mix it with grated carrots, radishes and chives; add the crumbled feta cheese and fill the lettuce leaves with the rice salad.
Make a vinaigrette with mustard, lemon juice, olive oil and salt. Dress the rice salad (already in the lettuce leaves) with a few drops of the mustard vinaigrette. Wrap and eat (preferably with your hands!).

Buon appetito!

No comments:

Post a Comment