May 18, 2012

Yogurt, amaretti and honey cake




























I am slowly becoming more daring in the kitchen. I mean, I am starting to bake without following a recipe. I know for some people this is just routine, but for me, well, it means taking my cooking skills to a higher level. I had been playing with ingredients in my mind for a while, I knew I wanted something low in fats but tasty, soft but with a rich texture, simple but satisfying. Finally on Sunday morning, as I was making myself a cappuccino, I decided it was time to dare and try myself.

It was almost lunchtime already and my mom strongly thought I had such a bad timing. I could see she wasn't too pleased to watch me gather flours, honey, eggs, and some more ingredients on the table, but I reassured her: lunch would be ready on time and so would be my cake. My words didn't help much until lunch was actually on the table exactly when we had planned. We were even able to joke and laugh about it once she tasted the cake. It was very, very good. It had the very same texture and taste I was looking for. I was, allow me to say so, proud of myself. We ate it with strawberries and wished we had some whipped cream as well!

YOGURT, AMARETTI AND HONEY CAKE


Ingredients: 

  • 1/2 cup brown rice flour
  • 1/4 cup millet flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • pinch of salt
  • 3 tbsp cocoa
  • 1/2 cup finely crumbled amaretti
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 tbsp butter, melted
  • 1/2 cup plain yogurt
  • 1/4 cup honey

Preheat the oven to 350°F/175°C. Grease or line with parchment paper an 8-inch/20 cm cake pan.
Mix together the brown rice flour, millet flour, baking powder, salt and cocoa, and set aside.
Lightly beat the eggs with the honey and yogurt, then add the melted butter and mix well.
Incorporate the dry ingredients to the wet mixture, then add the crumbled amaretti and transfer the batter to the pan. Bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
Let cool on a wire rack. The cake is excellent with fresh berries and whipped cream, but also plain.

Buon appetito!




No comments:

Post a Comment