Nov 17, 2012

Chickpeas and bell pepper soup

Fall has most definitely begun - I can tell by the gorgeous colors of the trees but also by the fact that a 3.30 pm the sun hides away for the night behind the mountain tops. I think it's safe to say that the sun setting so early is not one of the things I like about fall and winter.
As the days get shorter I increasingly look for comforting food. Unfortunately I haven't been very inspired lately, my cooking seemed to lack something and even had to face a couple of confidence testing failures. But, now that it's been mentioned, let's forget about that, shall we?

In the past few days the desire of being in the kitchen and experiment took hold of me again, it was the most welcomed feeling!

Chickpeas and bell pepper soup
























I have a few recipes to share, but let me start with soup. Isn't soup one of the best confort food? I recently tried this one and with it my soup season officially started. Lentils were perfect for a soup so I thought why not chickpeas. I had recently been told a recipe for a chickpea soup, but the only thing that one and the one I actually made had in common was chickpeas. And maybe not even those, given that mine were black chickpeas. I had bought a bag a while ago and I finally I resolved that they had to be tried. I soaked some for about 36 hours, then cooked them for 2 hours, still unsure of what I was going to use them for. Then I spotted a red bell pepper we had left outside for lack of space in the fridge. I knew exactly what I was going to cook: a soup, with chickpeas, red bell pepper, thyme, crushed tomatoes and onion. I was sure it would be good. And it was!


















CHICKPEAS AND BELL PEPPER SOUP
Ingredients:

  • 2 cups cooked chickpeas
  • 1 can crushed tomatoes (400 g)
  • 1 red bell pepper
  • 1/2 a small onion
  • 1/2 tsp dried thyme
  • 2 cups chicken stock
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • salt (taste first and add as needed)

Heat olive oil in a deep pan. Add chopped onion and chopped bell pepper and cook for a couple of minutes, stirring. Through in chickpeas and thyme and cook for another couple of minutes.
Add stock and crushed tomatoes (juice included), bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer and let cook, covered, for 30 to 40 minutes.
Remove 1/3 cup of chickpeas and bell pepper pieces and set aside. Puree the rest and add the chickpeas and bell pepper back in. Taste and add salt if needed.

Buon appetito!

1 comment:

  1. I love chickpeas and I have some aging peppers in my fridge.....

    ReplyDelete